Alright, I’m calling all the ladies out today. This is your Valentine’s Day (or week or whatever) challenge. I love this holiday, but I don’t necessary love the commercialized expectations it holds. Why are flowers expected today… why not randomly on a day where you just want to brighten a loved ones day? Doesn’t that feel more real? Of course it does. But I love the reminder to do a little something extra. Not because you have to. Because you want to. That being said… why is it always on the guy. C’mon ladies – let’s show our partners some love this year with a little sweet + savory breakfast in bed!
Side note: I ate everything at this shoot and it’s all truly delicious! Also… that’s me modeling with my cute hubby ;-)
We brought in Marlene Bernstein to create the most delectable menu possible that will make your partner literally want to stay and bed and eat, cuddle all day long. She is a true genius. Try one or try them all – below are all the recipes so you can replicate this at home!!
Hot Cocoa with Lavender Marshmallows
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup chocolate chip chunks
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
Mix all ingredients together on low heat until everything is melted. Serve with marshmallows
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 tsp fresh lavender
- 2 vanilla beans (scrape the beans out of the pod
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup of agave
- 2 egg whites
- 3 1/2 packets of gelatin
Instructions: Planning tip: Start the day before
- Combine water, lavender, and 1 vanilla bean in a pot and bring to a boil. Remove fresh lavender and vanilla bean.
- Combine sugar, agave, and 1/2 cup of the infused water from Step 1 in a pot. Bring to a boil to create a simple syrup. Set aside.
- Stir together 1/2 cup lavender infused water and gelatin packets. Set aside.
- Whip egg whites with your second vanilla bean until soft peak form.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in your lavender infused gelatin, simple syrup, and soft peaks. Dust a 9 1/2 x 13 baking pan with powdered sugar, then pour your marshmallow mixture into the pan and allow to set in the fridge for 3 hours.
- Use a knife or cookie cutter to cut out individual marshmallows
Layered Granola, Berry, and Yogurt Trifle
- 2 cups granola
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
Assemble in a glass/bowl in the following order: layer of yogurt, layer of granola, layer of blueberries. Repeat.
Strawberry Rhubarb Sweet Rolls with Lemon Curd Mascarpone Frosting
- 1/4 cup of warm water
- 2 1/4 tsp dry active yeast
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp melted butter
- 2 cups flour
- Combine warm water and yeast in a bowl and set for 10min.
- Whisk eggs and 1/2 milk in a bowl and then set aside
- Mix together egg/milk mixture, yeast mixture, brown sugar, and salt in a large bowl and then set aside
- Add 1 cup milk and melted butter to the ingredients in the large bowl from step 3 in a stand mixer using bread hook to mix
- Add 2 cups of flour to the ingredients in stand mixer. Then remove from mixer, place in a greased bowl. Cover and allow to rest and rise for the next 2 hours
- Roll out sweet dough mixture roughly 18” in length. Spread with Strawberry rhubarb filling (recipe below) and roll like a giant cigar, nice and tight. Then cut into 1 inch pieces across and place in a round cake pan and allow to rest for 15min
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30min. Spread sweet rolls with Lemon curd mascarpone (recipe below).
Strawberry Rhubarb Filling
- 1 1/2 cups rhubarb, sliced thin
- 3 1/2 cups fresh sliced strawberries, circle shaped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Bring all ingredients to a boil (except 1/2 cup strawberries) in a medium sized sauce pan, stirring constantly and crushing berries slightly with back of spoon. Boil until thickened, about 10-15minutes.
- Add last 1 /2 cup fresh strawberries. Stir filling for 3 more minutes, then remove from heat.
Lemon Curd Mascarpone Frosting
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 lemon zest
- 1/4 lemon juice
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup mascarpone
- 1-2 Tbsp powdered sugar
Lemon Curd Instructions:
- In a small saucepan, stir lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, and egg yolks constantly until thickened. Then incorporate butter.
- Strain lemon curd through a fine mesh strainer. Then cover and place in the refrigerator.
In a small bowl, combine mascarpone, 1/2 cup of lemon curd, and 1-2 Tbsp of powdered sugar. Set aside until you are prepared to frost sweet rolls
There you have it! The dreamiest breakfast in bed menu for Valentine’s Day or just any day you want to spoil someone you love. And if you’re like me and thinking…woah that is way too much to do in the morning. You can always break it up – do some the day before. OR you can get sweet rolls premade and just make the frosting and lemon curd or just make homemade hot cocoa and surprise your boo in bed with it! It’s just the little things guys that go a long way. If you end up trying any of these recipes this month be sure to post it on your IG story and tag us @TastefulTatters or leave us a comment and tell us your favorite!